From “Old Chem” To The Sapp Center: An Historic Renovation | Teaching Chemistry at Stanford
- Stanford’s “Old Chem” opened its doors in 1902 and was home to the Department of Chemistry until 1989. Severe damage in the Loma Prieta earthquake required that “Old Chem” be closed. Surrounded by a tall hurricane fence for almost 30 years, “Old Chem” remained a much-admired historical building. A thorough renovation was finally undertaken and “Old Chem” reopened in 2016 as the Sapp Center for Science Teaching and Learning. With great care, the renovation retained the historic architectural character of this important building. This program will examine the history of Old Chem and the work of restoration.
|Type of resource
|1 video file
|Stanford Historical Society
|Stanford University. Libraries. Department of Special Collections and University Archives
- Use and reproduction
- The materials are open for research use and may be used freely for non-commercial purposes with an attribution. For commercial permission requests, please contact the Stanford University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Copyright © The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
Stanford Historical Society program recordings, 1997-2022View other items in this collection in SearchWorks
Also listed in
Loading usage metrics...