History of the Music Department
- With its establishment in 1947, the Department of Music began a steady expansion of academic courses that had initially been offered as part of the curriculum in Education. In keeping with Stanford's tradition of combining theory and practice, knowledge and invention, community service and individual discovery, the Department has always sought to connect its programs to a broad range of scholarly and creative activities, which today embrace performance, composition, electroacoustic music, musicology and ethnomusicology. The patent established after Professor John Chowning’s discovery of FM synthesis in 1967 became the principal source for endowing the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA), whose groundbreaking research has contributed significantly to the Department's international profile. In 2013, with the opening of the state-of-the-art Bing Concert Hall, the Department is positioned to take all of its programs to new levels of excellence.
|Type of resource
|1 audio file
|Stanford Historical Society
|Stanford University. Libraries. Department of Special Collections and University Archives
- Use and reproduction
- The materials are open for research use and may be used freely for non-commercial purposes with an attribution. For commercial permission requests, please contact the Stanford University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Copyright © The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
Stanford Historical Society program recordings, 1997-2022View other items in this collection in SearchWorks
Also listed in
Loading usage metrics...