100-Meter Resolution Grayscale Shaded Relief of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- This map layer is a 100-meter resolution grayscale shaded relief image of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, in an Albers Equal-Area Conic projection. Shaded relief was created with the ArcGIS Hillshade command, with 45-degree sun elevation, 315-degree azimuth, and a z-factor of 1.0. Very dark and very light shades both represent steeper terrain. Mid-range grays represent flatter terrain. The grayscale shaded relief data were derived from the National Atlas 100-meter resolution elevation data. The elevation data were derived from 2012 National Elevation Dataset (NED) data and show the terrain of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands at a resolution of 100 meters. The NED is a raster product assembled by the U.S. Geological Survey, designed to provide national elevation data in a seamless form with a consistent datum, elevation unit, and projection. Data corrections made in the NED assembly process minimize artifacts, permit edge matching, and fill sliver areas of missing data. This layer is part of the 1997-2014 edition National Atlas of the United States.
- The 100-meter resolution grayscale shaded relief data were developed to portray the terrain of the United States at 1:1,000,000 scale. They are intended primarily for visual purposes. The original NED data should be used for conducting analysis and determining the most accurate elevation values. No responsibility is assumed by the National Atlas of the United States in the use of these data.
|Type of resource
|cartographic, software, multimedia
|Reston, Virginia, US
|National Atlas of the United States
|1:1000000Scale not given. ; Custom projection W 68°21ʹ28ʺ--W 63°47ʹ20ʺ/N 18°57ʹ11ʺ--N 17°3ʹ36ʺW 68°21ʹ28ʺ--W 63°47ʹ21ʺ/N 18°57ʹ11ʺ--N 17°3ʹ36ʺ, Scale not given ; EPSG::4326
|Geological Survey (U.S.)
|Digital elevation models
|United States Virgin Islands
|Imagery and Base Maps
|This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- This item is in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use.
- This work is in the Public Domain, meaning that it is not subject to copyright.
- Preferred citation
- National Atlas of the United States. (2014). 100-Meter Resolution Grayscale Shaded Relief of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. National Atlas of the United States. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/mr099qm5693.
National atlas of the United States of America, 1997-2014View other items in this collection in SearchWorks
Also listed in
Loading usage metrics...