Acquisition Map: Western Addition Redevelopment Area, A-1, 1956 (Raster Image)
- This layer is a georeferenced image of a map showing acquisitions in the Western Addition of San Francisco. This map was created as part of a redevelopment plan by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency in 1956. A scanned version of this map was georeferenced as part of the Imagined San Francisco project.
- This project traces the history of urban planning in San Francisco, placing special emphasis on unrealized schemes. Rather than using visual material simply to illustrate outcomes, Imagined San Francisco uses historical plans, maps, architectural renderings, and photographs to show what might have been. By enabling users to layer a series of urban plans, the project presents the city not only as a sequence of material changes, but also as a contingent process and a battleground for political power. Savvy institutional actors--like banks, developers, and many public officials--understood that in some cases to clearly articulate their interests would be to invite challenges. That means that textual sources like newspapers and municipal reports are limited in what they can tell researchers about the shape of political power. Urban plans, however, often speak volumes about interests and dynamics upon which textual sources remain silent. Mortgage lenders, for example, apparently thought it unwise to state that they wished to see a poor neighborhood cleared, to be replaced with a freeway onramp. Yet visual analysis of planning proposals makes that interest plain. So in the process of showing how the city might have looked, Imagined San Francisco also shows how political power actually was negotiated and exercised.
|Type of resource
|cartographic, software, multimedia
|Stanford University. Center for Spatial and Textual Analysis
|Scale not given. ; Custom projection W 122°26ʹ44ʺ--W 122°25ʹ2ʺ/N 37°47ʹ27ʺ--N 37°46ʹ28ʺ, Scale not given ; EPSG::4326
|San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (San Francisco, Calif.)
|San Francisco (Calif.)
|Imagery and Base Maps
|Planning and Cadastral
|This layer is presented in the WGS84 coordinate system for web display purposes. Downloadable data are provided in native coordinate system or projection.
- Use and reproduction
- You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (CC BY).
- Preferred citation
- San Francisco Redevelopment Agency. (2018). Acquisition Map: Western Addition Redevelopment Area, A-1, 1956 (Raster Image). Stanford University. Center for Spatial and Textual Analysis. Available at: https://purl.stanford.edu/gq720bq5425
Imagined San FranciscoView other items in this collection in SearchWorks
Also listed in
Loading usage metrics...