Geocoded loan data from the Paycheck Protection Program 2020 (PPP) by Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting
- The federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), one of the largest financial bailouts since the Great Depression, injected billions of dollars into small businesses in 2020. Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting performed a geospatial analysis on 5.2 million loans from the first two rounds of PPP lending. The analysis showed stark disparities in recipients across the country
- Data includes 1) geocoded information for every PPP loan in the first two rounds of the program, 2) demographic information for each census tract in the United States and Puerto Rico, along with demographic information for Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands , and 3) loan and business tabulations of selected large metros.
- Reveal used the Big Local News platform to distribute their data. Stanford’s Big Local News platform is designed for journalists to share data and collaborate on projects. Journalists can log in to create their own projects and access data in Open Projects available to all platform users. The Data Archive contains publicly available data that has been preserved by Stanford Libraries.
- Please see the README file for more information about the data collection and data analysis.
|Type of resource
|text, moving image
|Big Local News
|2020 - 2021
|May 1, 2021
|Al Elew, Mohamed
|Reveal/Center for Investigative Reporting
|COVID-19 Pandemic, 2020-
|Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)
|Big Local News
|Citation for initial Reveal article: Morel, Laura C., Mohamed Al ELew, and Emily Harris. “Hundreds of Billions of Dollars in PPP Loans Marred by Racial Inequity.” Reveal. May 1, 2021. https://revealnews.org/article/rampant-racial-disparities-plagued-how-billions-of-dollars-in-ppp-loans-were-distributed-in-the-u-s/.
|This story was produced with the support of the John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships and Big Local News at Stanford University.
|Stanford Digital Repository
- Use and reproduction
- User agrees that, where applicable, content will not be used to infringe the privacy or confidentiality rights of individuals. Content distributed via the Stanford Digital Repository may be subject to additional license and use restrictions applied by the depositor.
- This work is licensed under an Open Data Commons Attribution License v1.0.
- Preferred citation
- Oh, Soo et al. (2021-05-01) Geocoded loan data from the Paycheck Protection Program 2020 (PPP) by Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting. Stanford Digital Repository. Available at: http://purl.stanford.edu/cn690cd8420
Big Local NewsView other items in this collection in SearchWorks
Also listed in
Loading usage metrics...